It's My Life....Like it or not

Monday, August 14, 2006

Counting Down

The count down is in full swing - actually three count downs:

1. Tomorrow is the big day for the train ride and visit to the American Girl store in Chicago. I spent some time this morning on the web getting directions to/from the store and a few other points of interest. I'm not sure if we're going to hoof it or grab a cab, it doesn't seem like very far to walk, but then again - I've never been to Chicago with a 5 1/2 year old in tow. Come to think about it, I've never been to Chicago to walk the streets in this kind of weather - that will certainly be a nice change of pace. Most of the times I've been in the City it's been between Christmas and New Year's and fricking freezing cold. I'm excited to go and so is my daughter. I'm pushing for Ed DeBevick's for lunch. My mom talked about Hard Rock Cafe, nah - that's just a $8 hamburger. Ed's on the other hand, is my kind of joint.

2. Boss man might be back in the office sometime this week. He's set to be back in next Monday but I'd be real surprised if it was actually that long. I know he's from New York and still has some family there, but this isn't the type of guy who goes somewhere to lollygag around. And I'd venture a guess that his family has had about all of him they can stand and have encouraged him to head back to Illinois. Besides, his barstool at his local haunt isn't going to warm itself, if you know what I mean.

3. School officially starts in two weeks. Yeah kindergarten! On Friday we got the invitation to ride the bus for a "trial run". Thanks, but we'll pass. It doesn't make any sense to me at all why they even sent us that letter. From my house to the school where she is going to be is maybe 2 miles. And this town wonders why the school is in such a financial slump that they had to do this stupid grade siting stuff and close one entire school down...well, duh, quit running so many fricking buses! Heck, back when I was in school the only time you rode a bus was if you were a country kid or were in a sport and traveling to the other school for the game. Things have certainly changed.

That's about it. We opened our house up Saturday night since the weather has kind of broke, no more 102 degree days. There's a really nice breeze but the humidity still makes it feel pretty thick outside. I've tried to explain the benefits of air conditioning with my allergies to my husband to no avail. He doesn't get to see the effects of a night sleeping with 3 fans (yes, 3 fans in one room - in the window, on the ceiling and on the floor) on me all night. Swollen eyes, nose full of goop - you know, all the fun stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home