It's My Life....Like it or not

Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Road to Surgical Recovery and Enlightenment about my Biological Father

Today is day 7 and I'm feeling better. Still not great, but better.

Last night I finally slept all night long in my own bed! What a difference that makes. I know I've said it before, I really really love my sofa, but not as a replacement for my king size pillow top mattress for any more than a couple hours here and there. I still can't sleep on my stomach, which is annoying since I'm a stomach sleeper, but I realize that these things take time.

The surgi-strips came off all my incisions on Tuesday. Came off. Pulled off. Same difference. I think they were what was causing some of the discomfort I was having because once they were off I felt a little better.

So, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now and know that full recovery is just a few more days away. And I've lost all the excess weight I gained by not eating anything at all for 4 days. Finally! I think my body realized one day (Tuesday) that I had all this excess fluid and it was all "get that out of here" so I spent a lot of time peeing.

On another note, which should probably be a totally separate post, I learned some information about my biological father while I was in the hospital. His brothers wife (aka - my aunt) is a CNA and was working the floor I was on the day I was there. I hadn't seen her for a while so she came in and we were chatting. Later on, when my mom and I were in there alone, she came in and brought us up to speed on "the family". Seems Cliff (biological father) had a stroke a while back and appears to be nursing home bound for the remainder of his life. Sucks for him, doesn't it? Evidently he's in Maryland, or at least that where he was when this happened. He called them up asking if he could come live with them but they told him no.

Honestly, I don't care about him or his health or where he lives, so long as he doesn't live anywhere near me. Cruel? Maybe, but in my opinion his opportunity for me to give a rats ass about him was given up in the early 70's when he walked out on my mother when my sister and I were babies. I never understood how he could do that when I was a kid/young adult, and after my daughter was born it bothered me even more.

There is no way on God's green earth I will ever EVER walk away from my daughter. She is the best thing that's happened in my entire life and I'm lucky to have her. And I remind her of that every single day.

Besides, I have a Dad that I see and talk to several times a week. He's the man that married my mother on April 9, 1976 just weeks before I turned 4 and my sister turned 5. He was there when I learned how to ride a bike, lost my first tooth, went on my first date, he taught me how to drive, paid for me to go to college, walked me down the aisle, was one of the first to hold my daughter, and was there when I was having surgery last week. THAT is what being a father is all about.

1 Comments:

At 11:18 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You're not being cruel. I totally understand how you feel. I have no sadness over the passing of my deadbeat dad or his health toward the end. He wouldn't have for me if the roles were reversed. they are more or less strangers but you can get more empathy and warmth from a stranger. Sad huh?

I recommend you stay away as he will be a destabilizing force. And since we have crazy families, you know how that is.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home