It's My Life....Like it or not

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Why my entrance application would totally rock

I know I've mentioned in the past that there are many around me who think I should have a career as a lawyer instead of wasting my time pretending to be one while only being paid to be a paralegal. I had yet another praise session today, had one from a client yesterday, you get the point.

Here's the deal. I don't want to be a lawyer. I know I could, that isn't at issue. I have a family, a little bit of a life, and no money to spend on law school. Never mind not having the desire to go to school for any purpose. I'm not a "school learner" - I learn by doing.

So yesterday a client comes in and is telling the other girl here in the office, who has been a legal secretary basically half her life (she's been at it for nearly 30 years I would guess) that her best friend told her to come here because Matt's secretary is so sweet, telling her how Matt's secretary sat with her in court the day she was sentenced for her criminal case, etc. You guessed it - I'm Matt's secretary.

I'll admit, I was there and I did sit next to her. But I was there to experience my first criminal sentencing hearing - it just happened to be her getting sentenced. She's a really sweet lady and to this day I don't believe she's guilty of what she was convicted of. And I've told her that on numerous occasions.

So today, I had to take something to the courthouse for my boss and the jury room was full of various lawyers and both of our local judges. One of the lawyers sees me walk in the room as says "There's the greatest legal secretary this county has seen in a long time" and both judges agreed, as well as most of the lawyers in the room. (There were a couple I had never met before) I graciously thanked them all for their kind words and was about to leave when I heard "Let's all sit down right now and write her a letter of recommendation and get her into law school". Both judges chirped up to say that they've encouraged me several times in the past to no avail.

So, as I was walking back to our office I got to thinking. If I had to list references for a resume, entrance application, or otherwise I could potentially blow the competition away on references alone. Here's what I came up with:

Circuit Judge, Associate Circuit Judge, Circuit Clerk of our county, Circuit Clerk of the county next to us, no less than 15 local attorneys, the former Circuit Clerk of our county who is now the Chief of Police in a neighboring community, the local County Sheriff and half the Sheriff's Department, and the local Chief of Police - to name just a few.

I don't know. That could be intimidating or could make someone feel that maybe I'm over qualified.

Anyway you cut it though - THAT WOULD TOTALLY ROCK!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home