It's My Life....Like it or not

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Craptastic Christmas

Christmas morning was going along pretty well until about 9:30 when I got the phone call.

My boss died of a heart attack.

This isn't a boo-hoo for me post, but the reality of things is that my time at my job is limited. I love my job, love the people I work with. I don't want to be looking for a new job, but I have to. With one other lawyer in the office with his own secretary and not enough work to warrant having another it isn't too hard to figure out. I know there is still work here for me to do for a little while, and I don't want to leave our partner and his secretary high and dry but at the same time I don't want to feel like I'm sucking them dry by staying on. I know finances are going to get tight.

On the good side, if there is such a thing in this situation, there are enough local attorneys and judges that think rather highly of me that it should be pretty easy for me to move into a position at another firm rather smoothly or have kicking references in the least.

The bad side of things is that my fields of knowledge are family and criminal law. Not that there aren't other family and criminal law attorneys in town, because there are, they just aren't like my boss. And there is only one other firm in town presently looking for staff, and the lawyer there doesn't really do family law and no one there does criminal law. But, I learned this job from nothing and can and will do the same where ever I end up.

CRAPTASTIC!

1 Comments:

At 12:13 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow! Sorry to hear about the passing of your boss. The family must be devastated.

I'm sure you'll be just fine landing another job in time. I'm not sure how it is with law firms but companies stop hiring around this time and start up once the holidays die down.

I got my job knowing nothing so I'm sure you'll be fine switching fields.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home