It's My Life....Like it or not

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Garage Sale Hell

I'm in the middle of getting ready for a garage sale next weekend. What a nightmare!

I've been through all my dresser drawers, my closet (even shoes and purses-yikes!), my daughters dresser drawers and closet, and the kitchen cabinets. I still have to go through the drawers in the kitchen and I need to urge my husband to do all of the above. If I had my way, half his nasty shit would be in the garbage. But that's another story for another day.

During my kitchen portion of the project I decided to do something I've planned to do for, oh...I don't know...ever, or at least since we moved into our house 10 years ago - replace the shelf paper in the cabinets. I had no idea that something that sounds so simple could turn into a 5 hour project. F I V E!!! H O U R S!!!

The first two cabinets I did went really quickly but the third one took an hour and a half. The 4 layers of paper that had been placed on through the years were not ready to come off apparently. So, our house was built in 1958 and I think I pulled up shelf paper from the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's. With accompanying mystery stains to boot. All kinds of fun!

I finished my kitchen project off for that day by demolishing a shelf inside a small cabinet that was basically full of crap and turned it into a very efficient cabinet for all our cookie sheets and pizza pans. Turned out incredibly well! I find myself randomly opening the bottom cabinets - just to gaze in amazement at my handy work.

If only I could make enough money at the garage sale to gut the kitchen and get what I want instead of painting cabinets and putting on new shelf paper to pretend I have what I want. But, I know that won't happen either. Doesn't hurt to dream, right?

My daughter went through all her toys, books, dolls, etc and has decided to sell a lot of her stuff from "when she was a little girl". She's 6 and a half!!! She still is a little girl! We told her she could put her initials on that stuff and she gets to keep the money. She still owes Daddy about $25 for her new bike and she's thrilled to think that she could sell her old stuff and pay that off rather than having her allowance applied to it. That way she'll have "real cash money". She's a riot!

My mom, my sister and my cousin are in on the sale with me and somehow I've ended up being the one responsible for coordinating dates/times and advertising. What a pain in the neck. But, if we do as well as we did last year I'll be nearly a $1,000 richer on July 23 after the weekend of the garage sale.

Fingers crossed for no rain and nice weather!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home