It's My Life....Like it or not

Monday, September 15, 2008

5k

Well, I survived my first 5k on Saturday.

The weather was rotten (raining with 100% humidity and about 75 degrees), I hadn't eaten anything since lunch time Friday and I was recovering from a killer migraine.

But, hey! Guess what?!? I got 3rd place in my age bracket! Yeah for me!

I finished in 32 minutes and 45 seconds, which to me totally rocks for 3.2 miles, especially given the conditions, and I'm still walking and talking.

The down side is that one particular person I was aiming to beat instead beat me. I had him until mid way in when I had a dizzy spell and walked for a couple minutes to get my breath back. When I started back up again I quickly passed him again but then the hill before the finish line got me and I had to walk again.

I picked it back in again when the ground evened out but by then I had nothing left for a kick at the end. In the end, he beat me by about 30 seconds. He was no more than 10 feet in front of me and I couldn't do it. That hurts. What hurts more is that he's 66 years old and so remarkably out of shape. But, he's in a running club so he knew more how to pace himself early on so he had some juice left at the end. I gave it my all the whole time.

But, all in all, I'm happy with it. Now I know what I need to work on for next year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home