It's My Life....Like it or not

Thursday, August 02, 2007

Culture Shock

Yesterday afternoon I attended the wake for my cousins husbands mother. His mom is Hispanic, born and raised in the states, and his dad came to the states from Puerto Rico when he was 19. All their kids were born and raised in the States.

I've never been to a wake/visitation or funeral services for anyone from any other cultural background than mine so this was an experience.

The wake was from 1-8pm yesterday and again this morning from 8:30-10am until the funeral service begins. There were several rosary sessions scheduled as well.
I went with my aunt and cousin and we got there right around 3pm. At 4pm they started the first rosary session - it went on for nearly 45 minutes. (I'm not Catholic either, so none of that really made any sense to me) We left just after 5pm to head back home.

Now, I'm putting it right out there that I have no idea what is or is not "normal" for Hispanic catholic funerals. So, I don't know if this one falls within the "norm" or if the things I witnessed were just typical of this particular family. And by no means am I stereotyping or drawing conclusions - I just honestly don't know about these things.

There was a point in time when we were there that I almost felt as if I was in an episode of one of those TV evangelists with the whole smacking on the forehead falling backward releasing of the demons things. There was a lot of hysterical fainting, lots of sobbing wails and over the top crying.

This passing was unexpected, she was only 60, but had been diagnosed with late stage cancer last fall. So, I guess it was a matter of time, but I don't think anybody was prepared for this.

I don't know. If anybody out there has some insight on this to share with me I would certainly appreciate it. There was a lot of this that I, in all my German heritage Caucasian-ness, just didn't understand....and some of it may make more sense if explained. (Like the death shroud)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home